I was really intrigued with the words I found in Proverbs today. It is on my list of readings, and in the past I have tried to avoid the Proverbs because they seem like just a bunch of jumbled sayings that might be found in Pinterest, but here all tied together. Today it struck me as something interesting to put out there.
NRSV: Proverbs 16:1-7
- The plans of the mind belong to mortals, but the answer of the tongue is from the Lord.
- All one’s ways may be pure in one’s own eyes, but the Lord weighs the spirit.
- Commit you work to the Lord, and you plans will be established.
- The Lord has made everything for its purpose, even the wicked for the day of trouble.
- All those who are arrogant are an abomination to the Lord; be assured, they will not go unpunished.
- By loyalty and faithfulness iniquity is atoned for, and by the fear of the Lord one avoids evil.
- When the ways of people please the Lord, he causes even their enemies to be at peace with them.
I really like that last one. Perhaps it would be good to please the Lord enough that even your enemies are your friends. Of course that verse does go against what I suggested in my message yesterday when I said that Satan becomes so enraged when people are good that he words even harder to bring them down. How can we believe both ways? So of this is very paradoxical. Christianity is not easy to understand and certainly not as black and white as some would have us believe. I guess that is part of why I need to study more. I think the bottom line is faith and relationship, as in a very personal relationship. The more you know and are known, the better. Blessings to those who have taken the time to read and ponder. Have a great day.