I have been doing the normal spring repotting and replanting of geraniums and such that I saved over the winter. In the midst of doing this, I have gone through my pots and cleaned a few of them up to give them a make over. I thought of this last year, but never got around to it. I really need to get myself one of those “round-to-its,” but that is a separate story. So I will try for the short version. Those of you who follow this blog have seen my patio area a few times.
This is an old picture, but you can see the colors, etc. I have decided to try to stick to the terracotta color for my pots. Of course not wanting to go out and purchase a bunch of new ones, I decided to redo a few. I was also motivated to dump the dirt and wash them after I noticed there were plant lice abounding. I have learned recently that some of that is caused by never letting your plants dry out. I will be changing that practice in the real near future. Like yesterday!
So, I did say short version of the story. Here is what the pots looked like after a good scrubbing on Thursday. OK, so I forgot to take that picture. I guess that speeds things up a bit. Well, two were yellow and so old they were gritty and peeling after the washing, so they have a really different texture. One was white and one was a dark tan. They each took the paint a bit differently, and I sort of like how they turned out. I don’t know how long the look will last, but for now, I am happy with the “new” pots.
Here is the look with a plant inside. I have been growing that plant in a plastic coffee cup for about two years. It was time to give it a real home. Now I just need to decide what to put in the other three pots. I did the spray painting inside the car shed in a huge box so the paint wouldn’t hit the cars. I opened the doors, but I would recommend doing it outside on a still day. I held my breath through most of the spraying. I also wore plastic gloves, but ended up getting paint on my left arm. At least it only looked like I had a strange tan. HA!
Here are a few other flowers that have been upgraded to new pots.
This plant was on my blog a few days ago when I showed the picture of the rose bush. It took a major effort to get it out of its pot and cut it apart. I didn’t think I would get it cut up without putting my arms out of place.
These are only three of the pots that now house the old spider. There are also two in the big swans that sit on the edge of the pond. I will have to take pictures of them another day. Below on the left is the Christmas cactus that I grew from a single piece of cactus that I found on a floor. The container on the right is a recycled frosting container that will start two new cactus plants, hopefully.
It is fun to make new plants from old ones, but some days, I just wish I could keep all plants alive rather than the five that seem to thrive for me. I was sad to watch my orchid die as well as my last calla lily, and don’t tell me those are easy to grow, not for me. I also remember having a pocket plant once upon a time and the purple ivy with the velvety leaves that my grandmother had all around her living room, mine is only a memory. Oh well, I guess if I still had all of them, I would be sleeping outside for lack of room. Happy gardening, whether flowers or food.