Cast on 74: rows 1-12 done in rib of two, which means knit 2, purl 2 to the end of the row. This should work for each row. Row 13 is where I started the new color. This section was stocking net stitch which means knit a row, purl a row. That was supposed to be for six rows. The final row should be purl, but I was confused and purled in row five that row and I got a shift in the pattern. On row 19-22 I used the yellow. This was in purl a row knit a row until I had four rows. When I switched colors back, I had to make sure that I started so that I would get ridge right away like I had ended the maroon. Not sure, but think I had to start with two purled back to back, finished it with stocking net until I had inches after the rib stitches. After that I began decreasing by knitting two together every 8 stitches. I did this for 8 rows then cut the yarn about 10 inches put it on a darning needle, slipped that through the loops from the knitting needle and pulled it tight then sewed it up.
One more reminder of the in progress hat.