Missing after Easter


I started to write a post on the Monday after Easter, but I just couldn’t get it together. I was in the Family and Consumer Science room that day, and it just wasn’t happening for me. I wasn’t like I had to supervise cooking or sewing or anything fun. They had a review and some worksheets and some work out of their books. One group even had a test. It was an easy day for me, but I just couldn’t make myself write.

When we finally got home from practice, it was to find a sick Paulina. She didn’t have school on Monday and no class on Tuesday, but she was scheduled to work at noon on Tuesday, so she decided to stay home until Tuesday morning then head north. Not quite. She had a sick stomach and really was miserable. Of course my first question to my children is like some ancient granny. “Did you go to the bathroom today?” I could just as well have dug out the castor oil or some such thing.

Of course a good mother would be a bit more sympathetic. A good mother would not just ask how a daughter is feeling, they would actually get out of bed and help the daughter. Not me. I just figured it would get better. After Paulina threw up on Monday night, I figured it would be fine. I thought it was likely something she ate. That is my big answer for everything. Well, I should have checked into the other symptoms like sore back and headache and such. So we all went to sleep on Monday.

Tuesday morning, Paulina said her stomach still hurt, but of course there was a track meet and nothing was going to stop James and LuCinda from going to that. Paulina was supposed to work at the aquatic center as a lifeguard, sitting on a chair from noon until 7 p.m. OK, so they switch chairs and have breaks and such, but you get the picture. Well she couldn’t get the day off. Now really, what would you think when a 19-year-old calls in sick after a weekend. I would have thought she could come too. I did worry a bit about an appendicitis. She finally asked if she could go to the clinic. James made a call, and she was told to come as soon as we could get there.

She dropped me off at the school to go to the track meet and she went to the clinic. I really thought it would be nothing and we headed for Hazen. It is about 130 miles from Linton. Short part of this story, Paulina was given a CT scan and put in on IV for 3 hours which meant she was admitted to the hospital. Thankfully one of the nurses was James’ cousin Marlys a very good friend of ours. After she was discharged, she went back home and slept until we got back from the meet.

In the meantime, I started getting sick on the way home. I wasn’t sure when I was going to hurl. Let’s just say it was the worst bus trip ever. I spent all of Wednesday and a little of Thursday in bed. When I finally rearranged my Wednesday obligations I fell asleep from about 10 a.m. until right around 4 p.m. I wasn’t hungry until noon on Thursday. I still don’t feel much like food, but my energy level is up a bit. It is amazing how much a person needs water. I guess we were both dehydrated, but I think it was a combination of a light bug, exhaustion and dehydration. Hopefully we have learned our lesson about taking care of ourselves.

Point of our story, take care of yourself and drink plenty of water!!

2 Comments (+add yours?)

  1. christinelaennec
    Apr 25, 2014 @ 16:54:41

    Oh dear! No fun at all. I’m glad it wasn’t appendicitis. And I hope you’re both / all feeling very much better really soon.



I would love to hear from you, so go ahead, comment!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: